Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday- Top Ten Favorite Classics

(Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly linkup hosted by the blog The Broke and Bookish.)
As I was thinking about my favorite classics, I looked over Broke and Bookish's favorite classics and was amazed that so many of the ones they mentioned were ones I loved as well.  Actually, I had to cut a lot of well-loved classics.  But here are the ones that I believe everybody absolutely has to pick up before they die.

1.  Huckleberry Finn or something else by Mark Twain-There really is nothing like Mark Twain.  My favorite is probably Huckleberry Finn, but I shrieked with laughter at the Book for Bad Boys and Girls.

2.  To Kill a Mockingbird-I first read this in about 9th grade and fell in love with the characters.  It's still one of my favorites.  In fact, I want to go reread it right now.

3.  Bleak House by Charles Dickens-I read the whole book and loved it.

4.  Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen-I love J.A., but this book is my favorite.  I have always identified with Elinor Dashwood more than any other Austen character.

5.  Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell-Gaskell is an oft-overlooked author and I want to set about to change that.  Everybody needs to read something by Gaskell.

6.  Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier-I think Rebecca has become well-love enough that it can be considered a classic.

7. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster-This coming-of-age classic is one of my favorites.

8.  Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte-Poor Anne Bronte.  She always gets so overlooked, yet her writing is just as good as the other two Bronte sisters (am I committing some blasphemy by even writing that?) without the nonstop drama.

9.  The Odyssey by Homer-I actually really enjoyed this book.  I listened to it on audiobook two years ago and it's one of my favorites now.

10.  Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson-Treasure Island is good, but Kidnapped wins.  It's far more thrilling, the pace is faster, and I like the characters better.

4 comments:

  1. So many dear to my heart, plus some I really need to read. Listening to the Odyssey as an audiobook is a great idea. Do you remember who was reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the recording on iTunes and it was read by John Lescault. It was about 12 hours. You wouldn't believe all the laundry folding I got done while listening to it :)

      Delete
  2. I think I have found an American soul-mate! Agree with you about all the books - definitely "Kidnapped" rather than "Treasure Island", and in online which-Jane-Austen-character-are-you-most-like quiz (yes, I know...) I was a definite Elinor Dashwood.I had a real Elizabeth Gaskell phase some years ago and am now inspired by your post to re-read- thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! Yep, I took the Austen character quiz, too (with a slightly embarrassed expression) and I was Elinor Dashwood.

      Delete