The category for this Tuesday's Top Ten Tuesday is the ten characters I would want with me on a desert island. Whew! I made a list and then crossed out people and then added more and crossed out some more. I at first went with just people I like, but then decided on being more practical and choosing people who would actually be helpful, since I like the majority of the characters I read about. I finally have my list here:
1. Robinson Crusoe, because, duh, he already survived an island.
2. One of the sisters from The Poisonwood Bible. They survived incredible difficulties in Africa, along with all kinds of other things. Besides, I want to ask them questions.
3. Either Harry or Hermione from The Harry Potter Series. Magic would be so very useful on this island.
4. Eliza Birdwell from A Friendly Persuasion, for her no-nonsense, get-the-job-done attitude.
5. Pi Patel from The Life of Pi-Another extremely useful person.
6. Laura Ingalls Wilder-A strong, pioneering woman. Not fictional, but still...
7. Jeeves, from Jeeves and Wooster- I would put him in charge of the domestic side of things.
8. Janice Holt Giles, in her memoir, 40 Acres and No Mule-Another resourceful, pioneering sort. (I know, this is kind of cheating)
9. Somebody from The Swiss Family Robinson-Again, for the obvious reasons.
10. Elnora Comstock, from A Girl of the Limberlost-The girl lived in a swamp, so I'll leave any stray alligators to her.
And that's my list! I had a surprising amount of fun writing this. I must say, I'm quite grateful that I don't have to round up all these people in real life.