Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

National Poetry Month

So I'm not really into the themed month thing (Oh look!  National Broccoli Month!  Notepaper Month!  Light Socket Month!)  So, I exaggerate, and, in its defense, the themed month phenomenon has given awareness to many good causes.  However, I saw that April is National Poetry Month on a blog and though, "Hey!  I need to read some poetry!"  I read voraciously, but for some reason, poetry just never makes it onto my list.  Poetry requires reading in completely different way from books.  It requires full attention and the willingness to not always "get" what the point is the first time.  However, poetry is beautiful and I can't remember the last time I picked up a book of poems.  So, here's the list of books that I'm going to read.  I own all of the books, so this goes into my goal of reading more books that I own.  At the end of the month I'll write about how my poetry reading experiment went.    

1.  Collection of Poems by Maya Angelou
This isn't the edition I have, but this is the only picture I could find online.
2.  Poems by Longfellow
Just a boring modern edition.  I have a gorgeous old edition
that smells delightfully musty.
3.  Selected Poems by William Butler Yeats


4.  Collected Poems by Emily Dickinson


5. Poetry by Robert Frost


6. The Apple that Astonished Paris by Billy Collins
And that concludes my poetry list for April.  I've decided to do my poetry reading first thing in the morning over breakfast, starting with Longfellow.  I'm looking forward to my month with the poets!

No comments:

Post a Comment