Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

4/23/14 Library Loot

Here's this week's Library Loot from The Captive Reader.  I went to the library yesterday, so this post is just in time!  I got a good pile (I've been having great book luck recently).  I hope you find some titles to add to you TBR list!
                                       
1.  The Scent of Water is a story of a woman who finds consolation for a failed romance in a little country cottage and the people that she meets around her.  I love Elizabeth Goudge, so I think this will be good.

2.  Another Fred Chappell book.  I'm sure it's going to be just as good as Brighten the Corner Where You Are.  This is the story of Jess Kirkman, the son of protagonist in Brighten the Corner.  As his grandmother is dying, he looks back on the stories of the women before her.

3.  A 20s mystery about a husband and wife detective team who solve a murder case.  The back of the book says that this book has a lot of social commentary in it.  The book makes fun of murder stories, with the victim being shot, stabbed, bludgeoned, strangled, and poisoned!  This is also a very feminist book, with commentary about the helpless position that most women were in.  The very equal partnership between the husband and wife is emphasized.  I'm interested to read this!


4.  The 5th Flavia de Luce Book

5.  The 6th- and last- Flavia de Luce book.

6.  Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture- The title is pretty self-explanatory. I found this on some blog, I'm sorry I can't remember where.  As an introvert in the church, I think this is going to be a very interesting and inspiring read.


7. For some reason, the last two times I was at the library, I forgot to get the 3rd Emma Graham book.  I'm glad I finally remembered!



8.  I am so pleased that I found this.  (From another blog...blogs have given me so many good book ideas!)  I read Nancy Drew in late elementary school/early middle school and loved them, although I distinctly remember noticing that I could never remember the latest Nancy Drew I had read.  They all kind of ran together.  However, I have a real fondness for Nancy and it will be interesting to read about her origins.

So that's my loot for the week!  What did you get?

10 comments:

  1. It's rare but I don't have any loot this week. But you got some great loot there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No loot! I hope you have reading material, though.

      Delete
    2. Plenty! I've got previous loot I'm working through.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of #8 I read a few Nancy Drew books as a kid and loved them :)

    Come see my Library Haul :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't #8 look great? I'll leave a review once I finish it!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I loved Nancy Drew when I was a kid. I might need to read Rehak's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I read it, I'll be sure to post a review. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I was pleased with my loot this week! And I love your selections as well! Happy Reading!

      Delete
  5. Ooh! Really interested to hear what you think about Introverts in the Church. Great subject. Also, I loved the Nancy Drew book.

    ReplyDelete