Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Library Loot

Today I'm linking up with this fantastic blog to bring you the books that I got at my last trip to the library.  I think this is a great way to promote libraries and I've gotten some great book ideas from it.
So here are the books that I checked out last time I was at the library.






1.The Egg and I is the first autobiography by the fantastic Mrs. Piggle Wiggle author.  I laughed and laughed at this account of chicken farming in the Northwest Pacific.

2.  A Room with a View is one of those classics that so many people miss out on reading in school.  It's the story of a young girl who leaves proper England for Italy.



3. I picked up Life is Meals on a whim.  It's a cooking calendar, with a one page treatise on such topics as ice cream, Alice Waters, and a poem to Brie (the cheese, that is).

4.  A Red Herring Without Mustard is the third Flavia de Luce book.  I just started it.  It's very good!

5.  I'm continuing my Neil Gaiman reading and thought I would check out this very famous title.  I just recently watched the movie and liked it.

6.  This Rough Magic is written by one of my favorite authors, Mary Stewart.  It is the story of Lucy Waring, a minor actress who goes to Corfu to visit her sister and has a very exciting adventure.

7.  South of Superior is a debut novel about a woman who returns to a little eccentric town on the upper peninsula of Michigan.  She goes to take care of an old family friend, but along the way meets many interesting people and is changed forever.




8.  A Company of Swans is by the very talented Eva Ibbotson.  This is the story of a young girl who lives with her oppressive father and aunt.  The only thing she likes is ballet.  Defying her father and aunt, she goes with a ballet troupe to South America and falls in love with a British exile.  Unfortunately, her father and fiance are following her.

9.  Brighten the Corner Where You Are is a day in the life of a North Carolina school teacher.   It has gotten a lot of critical acclaim, so I'm eager to read it!


And that concludes this week's library loot!  I'm looking forward to repeating this every week.

10 comments:

  1. I have a Company of Swans in my library loot pile too. I picked it up a few weeks ago. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! Have you read anything else by Eva Ibbotson? I am so amazed that I made it through my childhood without ever reading anything by her. She is a fantastic writer!

      Delete
  2. I really need to read a Neil Gaiman book...and soon. I feel so out of the loop. Great loot and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I just recently discovered Neil Gaiman. He's one of those superb authors that you forget is writing a children's story because the book is so good.

      Delete
  3. I love libraries! I hope you get time to read this weekend! Looks like you have a great selection there. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I am fortunate to live near a library that keeps a lot of old gems.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what great choices -- Egg and I, Stardust, Company of Swans, A Room with a View, and Flavia de Luce! I've read very little Mary Stewart; I'll have to check if my library has This Rough Magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read Mary Stewart. She is an interesting Romantic/Slightly Gothic/Thriller/Fabulous Atmosphere Description genre all of her own.

      Delete
  5. Don't bother with Life Is Meals. I got, oh, about 20 pages into it and slammed the thing shut after one too many lascivious, elbow-in-ribs story of "babes I have known". Tiresome and nothing, buddy, to do with food.

    ReplyDelete