Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

Classics Club 2015

So I decided to join Classics Club!  It was on my to-do list for this year and I'm ready to start on the challenge.  I really love reading classics and so I'm quite excited to start this.
So here's my list of classics I'm going to read in 2015:

1.)  Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte-Technically, already checked off
2.)  She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith
3.) Paradise Lost
4.) Don Quixote
5.) Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
6.) Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan
7.) The Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper
8.) Something by Emerson…haven't nailed that down yet
9.) Something by Dickens that I haven't read…
10.) Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
11.) A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstencroft
12.) Poems by Tennyson (I want to work on poetry reading this year
13.) Poems by Poe
14.) Poems by Keats
15.) One of Alcott's earliest writings that, according to many people, were terrible…I'm still curious
16.) How Like an Angel Came I Down by Bronson Alcott
17.) Brave New World by Alduous Huxley
18.) The Wind in the Willows (This is going to be my children's classic for the year)
19.) North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
20.) Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
21.) Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
22.)  Probably something by Wilkie Collins
23.) Watership Down by Richard Adams
24.) The Frogs by Aristophanes
25.) Lady Susan by Jane Austen

Classics Club has a rule about reading at least 50 books in at most 5 years.  I'm not going to do more than 25 this year, so next year I'll read the other 25.  I'm still debating about the other 25 and which ones I'll be reading…so I'll let you know after I've thought about it for awhile.

What about you, readers?  Is anybody else participating in Classics Club this year?  What books are you planning on reading?

5 comments:

  1. You have a lot of great reading on your list! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting list - classics are always a problem for me as I have always found it difficult to read anything pre 20th century, not that there is anything wrong with them I just find the language difficult. I've read Mary Wollstencraft as part of my degree course (philosophy) but that's it for the pre 20th century.
    What is interesting is the books of 20th century regarded as classics - 'Wind in the Willows' of course, but 'Watership Down'? Great book but classic? Same for 'Brave New World, I think Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four' has a bigger claim!
    Still, be interesting to hear your progress over the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point about 20th century classics…I think part of the reason that I chose some that are borderline classics is because, for some reason, I have read such a large number of "modern classics". 1984? Check. Steinbeck? Check. Truman Capote? Check. Virginia Woolf? Check. And, funnily enough, I haven't dug into a number of earlier classics, I think partly because newer classics are, like you said, easier to read.

      Delete
  3. North and South is on my list too! Welcome to the club! - Melissa

    ReplyDelete