Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

Where I've Been and My Reading List

Goodness, I left you in the lurch, didn't I, readers?  First, my family generously shared a head cold with me that left me sneezing and feverish for several days and then on Good Friday I was stricken with a nasty stomach bug, also generously shared by my family members.  So, basically, I've been lying on the couch whining all week.  That's where I've been.  Easter Sunday, I skipped church in favor of sleeping in, then, feeling 100% recovered, I went to the family Easter Dinner and had a lovely time.  On the way home, I started to feel myself crashing.  I came home and relapsed back into my stomach bug.  So here I am, the Monday after Easter feeling weak and still pretty whiney, but I'm at that stage where I have a very strange list of food I'm hungry for, including:
1. Pizza
2. Sushi, but the pickled ginger is what I'm really after
3. Vanilla Custard
4. Chocolate Ice Cream
5. White Rice with Soy Sauce

None of these are probably a good idea, but I did end up caving and eating White Rice and Soy Sauce for breakfast and, oh, did that taste delicious!

But enough about my aggravating viruses.  Because with all that sickness comes a lovely stack of books:
1. Great Quantities of Little Women
2. A bit of Don Quixote
3. Do Butlers Burgle Banks by P.G. Wodehouse
4. As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley
This book was the very best medicine.

While the rest of the books were all very enjoyable, can we just focus a moment on that last title?  Do you know what that is??  It's the latest Flavia de Luce!  Squee!  This is the book that kept me alive through these last couple of days.  Those of you who have been reading for a while will remember that I dearly adore Flavia de Luce.  In general, I don't love mysteries.  They can be formulaic, gory, boring, unbelievable (what on earth is wrong with your supposedly charming small town that there's a crime every 2 weeks?), and/or drone-y.  But Flavia is the exception.  Everything about these books exudes charm and brilliant writing with just enough thrills to keep the books exciting.

I'm not going to give a full review today because I doubt I'd be coherent, but let me just say that it was everything I expected it to be and more.

And that is where I have been, plus what I read.  Tell me, dear readers, how were your Easters?

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back, and glad you are on the mend! I also fell victim to a bug that was going around last week, but was mostly recovered by Easter. It's good to have a wonderful book to comfort you while confined to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Easter was great! I'm sorry to hear yours was icky. Last year, two of my kids had Strep over Easter, and we couldn't do anything fun. I hope you're on the mend now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helloo! Lovely to hear from you again - hope you're nicely recovered :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dearest CGrace, I'm so sorry to hear you've been ill - you must be so tired of being sick! My family were also under the weather for awhile...my youngest sister is still battling with the cough!
    Our Easter was perfectly relaxed - I spent my Sunday packing as I was hopping on the bus on the Tusday to head to the city to help a sweet friend with her little ones while her husband is away!
    So good to be here for a visit today! Sending you a big hug today and praying you feel better now:)
    Love,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that your family is much better now! And thank you for your kind wishes. :)

      Delete
  5. Feel better! People keep telling me I would like Flavia de Luce - I had a hard time getting into the first book and gave up but maybe it is time to try again.

    ReplyDelete